April 08, 2005

And I don't mean periods

What do you think, here? Maybe someday my taciturn readers will speak up and tell me what I want to hear. I need help! I want to purchase a camera (this camera, to be specific) and I am not sure when I should buy it. If I buy it now, I can use it in Atlanta, and then I can pay for it before my big expenses come at the end of May, when I will be buying lots of things and paying for a new apartment and everything. If I put it off, maybe I'll forget I want it and then I won't have to spend the money. I know it sounds weird, but I do it a lot. Also, if I buy the camera now, I will have to forego the Friday Mai Tai lunches with my colleagues that I so enjoy.

I've decided to read less Harry Potter and more NOT Harry Potter, so I went to the library and checked out a few women's studies books. Did I tell you already about the time I was on the (HORRIBLE) B Line train, which is HORRIBLE, but I had a pleasant experience being squished next to a lady who noticed I was reading The Handmaid's Tale and recommended a lot of other books, such as:
  • The Second Sex by Simone de Beauvoir
  • Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
  • Pretty much anything by Jane Austen or any Brontë
  • The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins
  • Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys
I checked out the last two on the list, and I've just started reading Wide Sargasso Sea. It's the story of Bertha Mason, who was the lady in the attic from Jane Eyre. I can't wait to be well informed on lady topics, as I'm sure to be after reading these two books.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate pretty much everything by jane austen or any Bronte, withthe notable exception of Jane Eyre. The others, though, sound mighty good.

Buy the camera! My advice is too late!

4/19/2005 10:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home